Monday, June 16, 2008

I WILL BE CONTINUING ON WITH MY BODY OF WORK THIS JUNE

Title:  Sanctuary, Kauai
Limited Edition Print

From the body of work "A New Discovery"
Copyright 2005  Kelly L. Fitzgerald


I feel very blessed to be continuing on with my fine art project.  As I had mentioned in previous posts, I set out in 2004 to capture the untouched beauty of the Hawaiian Islands in Kodak HIE-135 Infrared B&W Film.  By the end of December 2007, Kodak announced the discontinuance of HIE infrared film.  Demand for this specialty film had been declining significantly in recent years, and it was just no longer practical to continue to manufacture the film given the low volume, the age of the product formulations and the complexity of the processes involved.  Kodak had made this film for The Department of Defense originally, but now that the military has gone digital ... the demand for this product declined and it solely became a specialty item.

By the end of 2007, I had photographed Kauai, Lanai and Molokai.  Fortunately, a couple of weeks ago, I met a gentleman on eBay who sold (yes, at a premium price) some of his own private stash of the discontinued film to me.  I am so glad I found him!  This June, I will continue on with my body of work "A New Discovery" ... and savor every click of the shutter.  I will be exploring Oahu, Maui and Hawaii.  Even the soaring fuel prices and expensive airfare won't keep me away ... as I am determined to continue on with this project that I feel so passionately about.

No comments:

Post a Comment