Monday, June 9, 2008

RECENT WORK FROM THE ISLAND OF LANAI

Title:  Old Pineapple Field, Lanai
Limited Edition Print

From the body of work "A New Discovery"
Copyright 2006  Kelly L. Fitzgerald



Title:  Backroad, Lanai
Limited Edition Print

From the body of work "A New Discovery"
Copyright 2006  Kelly L. Fitzgerald


In October of 2006, I arrived on the privately owned island of Lanai.  What an adventure it was just to get there.  First, I had to catch a flight to Maui and then find a shuttle to get to the harbor in Lahaina and then catch a ferryboat over to Manele Bay, then finally, find transportation to Lanai City.  I brought along a huge duffel bag of camping gear as I had planned on camping during my stay.  Unfortunately, I ran into bad weather ... in fact, I arrived the day after the earthquake struck the Big Island, which measured 6.7 on the Richter scale. 

Then, along came Aunty Helen.  She opened up her cozy home to me and I rented one of her rooms for the remainder of my stay.  I am so blessed to have met her.  She has one of the biggest hearts you'll find and she is just a wonderful, caring person.  We still keep in touch to this day.

When I first experienced Lanai City ... I could not believe how small and quiet it was.  The locals were super friendly.  There are no stoplights on the island, and barely 30 miles of paved road.  It is such a peaceful and relaxing place.  Lanai is a great place to explore by 4-wheel drive, as there are so many treasures to be found and lots of wide-open spaces.  I found the history of this quiet oasis to be enchanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment